Mechanical Engineering, Tohoku University
The Division of Mechanical Engineering, Tohoku University has b een heading for the new creation of smart energy and intelligent systems for sustainable and nature-frien dly society. Our academic base consists of the integration of the conventional mechanical, materials, control and aerospace engineering with mechanical science, quantum science, life science and social science. All the students should open up a new field based on their new skills of multi-physics and engineering obtained from the interactive learning with the world-leading professors and colleagues from all over the world.
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Course of Mechanical Systems Engineering*
- Course of Finemechanics*
- Course of Aerospace Engineering
- Course of Quantum Science and Energy Engineering
- Course of Robotics*
- Course of Environment and Energy Engineering
- Course of Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering*
- International Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Course (Course taught in English)
Closely Related Organizations in Tohoku University
- Institute of Fluid Science (IFS)
- Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for
- Cyberscience Center
- Institute for Materials Research (IMR)
- Cyclotron and Radioisotope Center (CYRIC)
- Frontier Research Institute for
Interdisciplinary Sciences (FRIS)
- New Industry Creation Hatchery Center (NICHe)
Graduate School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering*
- Department of Finemechanics*
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Quantum Science and Energy Engineering
- Department of Robotics*
- Fracture and Reliability Research Institute (FRRI)
- Department of Management Science and Technology
Graduate School of Information Sciences
- Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
- Department of syestem Information Sciences
- Department of Applied Information
Graduate School of Environmental studies
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
History of the Division of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Establishment of Tohoku Imperial University
- Sendai Technical High School attached to Tohoku Imperial University Department of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering and three other departments).
- School of Engineering and Division of Mechanical Engineering established.
- Department of Aeronautics established.
- Department of Mining and Mineral Engineering established.
- Department of Aeronautics abolished, Department of Industry established.
- Tohoku Imperial University renamed Tohoku University.
- Merger with Second High School, Sendai Technical College, Miyagi College of Education, Miyagi College of Youth Education, and Miyagi Women's Technical College under the reformed university system (establishment of School of Engineering under new reforms).
- Department of Industry renamed Department of Precision Engineering.
- Department of Mining and Mineral Engineering renamed Department of Mineral Engineering (later became Department of Geoengineering).
- Graduate School of Engineering established.
- Establishment of Second Department of Mechanical Engineering (1 research department transferred from Department of Mechanical Engineering)
- Department of Nuclear Engineering established (later changed to Department of Nuclear Energy Engineering)
- Institute of Material Strength Research established (later became Research Institute of Fracture Mechanics, then Research Institute of Fracture Control Systems).
- Building construction completed for three departments of Mechanical Engineering, department moved to Aobayama.
- Department of Mineral Engineering renamed Department of Resource Engineering.
- Three departments reorganized as Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, and Mechanical Aeronautic Engineering.
- Graduate School of Information Sciences established (5 research offices transferred from 3 departments).
- Three departments emphasized and reorganized on the graduate level: Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems, Electronics and Mechanical Engineering, and Aerospace Engineering.
- Departments emphasized and reorganized on the graduate level: Nuclear Engineering changed to Nuclear Energy Engineering, Department of Resource Engineering changed to Geoengineering.
- Department of Management Science and Technology established (2 research offices transferred from 3 departments).
- Bioengineering and Robot Systems established (3 research offices transferred from 7 departments), graduate school of Environmental Studies established (all departments of Geoengineering, 1 research office from 2 departments of mechanical engineering transferred).
- Tohoku University reclassified as a National University Corporation.
- Three departments of the Division of Mechanical Engineering reorganized as Mechanical Systems and Design, Nanomechanics, and Aerospace Engineering.
- Three courses of the Division of Mechanical Engineering, along with Department of Quantum Energy Engineering, Geoengineering reorganized as Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering; implemented as 6 courses: Mechanical Systems and Design, Nanomechanics, Aerospace Engineering, Quantum Science and Energy Engineering, Bioengineering and Robot Systems, and Environment and Energy Engineering.
- Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering established (instructors transferred from Bioengineering and Robot Systems, new lectures created).